I hope those who celebrate had a wonderful Mother’s Day! We visited baby animals at a local farm in the city. So cute! Early this week I continued with my pursuit of a capsule wardrobe by clearing out my pants. I started with … Continue reading
This week I started on my capsule wardrobe. First up? Skirts and dresses. I started with 14 skirts and my goal was to get down to 8. I’m happy to report I got to my target number! I am now … Continue reading
‘Build a capsule wardrobe’ was one of the items on my 35 by 35 list. This idea really appeals to me because I am one of those people who complain about having nothing to wear, despite a closet full of clothes. … Continue reading
Like a lot of people, I like to start off the new year by cleaning out my closet. It helps me start the year off fresh and who doesn’t love an organizing project? Even more of an incentive were the … Continue reading
Today I had the day off work and I spent it with my mum. We had a wonderful day shopping – Target, the mall and Ikea (plus a delicious meatball lunch!) Having the day off also gave me the time to finish … Continue reading
Today was supposed to be a “me” day. I had the day off work and some fun money to buy a few new items for my closet. I was super excited so of course L woke up with pink eye. No daycare for her and my trip to the mall was replaced with a visit to the doctor’s office.
At least being at home all day forced me to be somewhat productive. And when I say somewhat productive, what I actually mean is that I made a plan to be productive. I documented, room-by-room, everything that I want to accomplish as part of my spring cleaning.
The list is quite long and very daunting but I feel like it at least gives me a starting point.
Some of the top items on my list?
- Do a general tidy of each room – so much stuff seems to have accumulated over the winter and all of these items either need a new home or a place in the trash.
- Clean out closets – get rid of any clothes/shoes/accessories that don’t fit/haven’t been worn in a while and take inventory of what the girls need for the warmer weather.
- Overhaul our toy storage system – with the new storage in E’s room and the extra space in the basement, I can start moving toys out of the living room.
- Clean the car – after the snowy/slushy/salty winter we had, the car is a mess – inside and out. Maybe I can pawn this one off on M?
- Do some serious cleaning – I am not looking forward to this one but windows need to be washed, baseboards need to be scrubbed, and dust bunnies need to be swept from corners.
What about you? What is making the top of your spring cleaning list? Any tips on getting things done?
I love baskets and storage bins. There are a great storage solution (especially for kids) because they hide clutter without requiring an intensive clean up. Throwing things quickly into baskets is a quick way to clean up and hide away … Continue reading
M and I recently did another purge of our closets. While everything we no longer need usually gets sent to a thrift store, I decided to keep an old t-shirt for a DIY project! While I had a few options, … Continue reading
Have you guys seen these hangers before? I came across them at my local dollar store (a pack of 2 for $1.25) and I thought they would be perfect for organizing my closet! I used them for my tank tops … Continue reading
The ‘stuff’ purge was a huge success. In the end, I had a carload of stuff for Value Village: 3 garbage bags of clothes/accessories, 2 boxes of household items and 1 bag of toys.
Knowing that my house will be freed of these items certainly has me smiling but I am most proud of my closet purge. I was absolutely ruthless.
I try to go through my clothes about twice a year to get rid of items that are just taking up space. My issue is that I don’t want to take the chance that I won’t need an item in the future. Sure, it hasn’t been worn in over a year and a half but that doesn’t mean I won’t have the opportunity to wear it soon!
This time around I developed some guidelines and did my best to stick to them:
- Has the item been worn in the past 6 months? Past year?
- Does the item still fit in all the necessary places and still feel comfortable?
- Is the item appropriate to be worn out in public during the day (i.e., not too short/tight/revealing)?
- Does the item have multiple forms of wear-age (i.e., across seasons or to work and on the weekends)?
Thanks to my criteria, here is what I ended up purging:
- 8 dresses
- 8 pairs of pants
- 4 skirts
- 1 pair of shorts
- 7 sweaters/cardigans
- 25 tops
On top of that, there were also 2 pairs of boots, 6 pairs of shoes and 2 coats. And yes, I still have plenty of clothes left in my wardrobe. Additionally, now I have quite a bit of room for when the new spring and summer clothes come out 🙂