Since February, M and I have experienced a few changes to our financial situation, both positive and negative:
- I went down to working only part-time
- I picked up some consulting work
- I added tuition to our costs by going back to school
Our most recent change, which comes into effect this month, is that we have taken L out of before and after school care, as I have the flexibility to pick her up every day at 3:00. As a result, we now have an extra $600 a month to play with. While we could technically use this money entirely as fun money, we have decided to be semi-practical and spend this money the following ways:
- $300/month (in addition to what we are already paying) to expedite paying down the last few thousand dollars on our line of credit.
- $100/month for a recreation and entertainment fund to cover the girls swimming and dance, my volleyball, M’s hockey, and all the fun things we try to do with the girls.
- $100/month increase to mine and M’s monthly ‘allowance’ (extra $25 every 2 weeks for both of us).
That leaves us with $100/month remaining which is just sitting as a buffer. Maybe I can finally convince M to get a cleaning lady 🙂
What would you do with an extra $600 a month?